It feels like we’ve answered 3,000 questions but really it’s more like the same 20 questions over and over again. Our current, and so far second most challenging set of questions are the foundation for the family profile book we have to create. This profile book is what parents-to-be will look at and judge us by. No pressure. Just try to sound fun, responsible, sane, safe, energetic, thoughtful, intentional, nurturing, loving, caring, enthusiastic, empathetic, open, over the course of 16, 8 1/2 x 11 pages in a notebook. Easy breezy.
Our current assignment:
1. Why do you want to adopt a child?
2. Individually, describe your family of origin and extended family. How will they be involved with the child?
3. What (or who) do EACH of you consider the most constructive/important influence in your life?
4. Describe your home – exterior and interior.
5. Describe your neighborhood/community. (Are children nearby? medical resources, parks, schools, shopping, and recreation areas, etc.?)
6. What activities do you enjoy in your leisure time? Individually? Together?
7. Describe the kinds of music, books, movies, exhibition sports, games, etc. you each enjoy.
8. How do you spend vacation time?
9. How do you celebrate holidays?
10. Whatare your favorite foods?
11. Do you have pets?
12. Describe your family’s religious life.
13. What hopes or goals do you have for your child?
14. What are your ideas on disciplining your child?
15. What are your ideas on educating your child?
16. Who will care for the child in your absence?
17. How do you plan to tell your child about his/her adoption? How do you plan to support the culture of your child?
18. What are your feelings about birth parents, and how will you portray them to your child?
19. Are you willing to share letters and pictures with the birth parents? How frequently?
20. Are you willing to meet the birth parents?
21. Is there anything else you would like to tell the birth parents?
22. What are your health care plans for your child? (Do you have a pediatrician already identified? Will your current insurance cover the child? Have you checked to see when coverage will start? (i.e. at placement, at transfer of custody, will it cover pre-existing conditions?) Will you be vaccinating your child?) If you are open to adopting a child with specific medical conditions, do you have any specialized medical training?